Dangerous Foods For Dogs

Some of the common foods we enjoy can be really dangerous for dogs and just to make sure you don’t accidentally give your pup something toxic I wanted to provide you with a list of some foods dogs should never eat.


Avocado Pits and Skins

If your dog snags a bite of your avocado toast don’t be alarmed. However, watch their intake because avocados are really high in fat so they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and pancreatitis. The biggest worry about a dog eating avocado is if they eat the pit or the skin. If this occurs, call your vet! If your dog consumes a small amount of the fruit then this shouldn’t be a problem but as always just watch your dog for side effects.

Alcoholic Beverages

A dog’s kidneys do not respond well to alcohol because their kidneys are not meant to process alcohol. Dogs are also lightweights so even a small amount of alcohol can affect them.



Citric acid can cause irritation and central nervous system depression if consumed in large amounts. Small doses, like eating the fruit, are not likely to have major health consequences. Eating the fruit might just result in stomach upset.

Coffee and Caffeine

Pets are more sensitive to the effects of caffeine than people are. Coffee and caffeine contain substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cocoa seeds (the fruit of the plant used to make coffee). When methylxanthines are ingested by dogs this can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and even death. Having a little bit of your morning coffee shouldn’t hurt your dog. It’s when your pet ingests coffee grounds, tea bags, or caffeine pills that you should worry and call your veterinarian.


The combination of caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline in chocolate products is toxic to dogs because it stimulates their nervous system. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog consumes chocolate products.

Fruit Pits

Dogs should not eat fruit pits because they are a choking hazard, they can get stuck in the GI tracts causing bowel and intestinal obstruction, and they contain the poison cyanide. If your dog accidentally eats a fruit pit take them to the vet immediately so they can induce vomiting.

Grapes and Raisins

Both grapes and raisins have a toxin that can damage the kidneys and possibly lead to kidney failure. It’s very important that you keep grapes and raisins from your dog because just 1 or 2 can cause problems. However, there have been no problems related to grape seed extract because the toxin in grapes is not found in the seeds.

Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are highly toxic to dogs even in small quantities. These nuts can cause short-term neurological problems, tremors, dizziness, and temporary paralysis.


Onions have an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to both cats and dogs. Ingesting onions can lead to a condition called hemolytic anemia, which causes damage to red blood cells. Toxins in onions can cause the red blood cells in the body to burst.


Xylitol is used as a sweetener in several products, including gum, candy, baked goods, and toothpaste. Xylitol can cause insulin release, which can lead to liver failure and hypoglycemia. Initial signs of an infected dog are vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination.

Yeast Dough

Uncooked dough can lead to bloat, discomfort, and even a rupture in the digestive system. Furthermore, yeast can produce ethanol as a by-product and if ingested by a dog the dog can become drunk.